Social Security Disability in Georgia
How to file for disability in Georgia
If you are suffering a permanent or long-term illness or physical disability, you know the fear and frustration of not being able to care for yourself and your family. In many cases, Social Security Disability Insurance can help you with the financial concerns associated with your disability. But applying for benefits is complex. Your best chance for a successful claim is to retain someone who knows how to effectively file for disability in Georgia. The disability attorneys at Berry & Associates can make a difference.
Who is eligible to successfully file a Georgia disability application
In accordance with federal disability law, you must meet certain requirements to qualify for benefits:
- Your condition must prevent you from working.
- Your disability must extend for at least 12 months. You may have already experienced at least 12 months of disability, or you may expect your disability to last for at least that long.
- During the period of your disability, you must be unable to earn more than $980 per month in income.
- You must have earned a sufficient number of work credits. This is typically a total of 40 credits, half of which have been earned in the ten years before the disability occurred. As a general rule, a sufficient number of credits are earned by having maintained a relatively consistent work history for five of the ten preceding years, during which time you paid Social Security taxes. For younger applicants, the requirements are somewhat less.
Georgia disability attorneys – Services that can help
The Social Security Administration (SSA) reports that applications for Social Security benefits are higher than ever before. More than 70 percent of initial applications are currently being denied, as are over 80 percent of appeals. Although it is possible to file your own claim, the SSA identifies many benefits to getting help from disability attorneys.
Whether you need help with an initial claim or the Georgia disability adjudication services needed to successfully appeal a claim denial, a skilled Berry & Associates disability lawyer can help in many ways, including the following:
- Help prepare a well-organized claim that meets all SSA requirements
- Advise you of all available options in the event that an initial claim is denied
- Help you collect and organize solid evidence for an appeal
- Prepare witness testimonies in preparation for your appeal
- Use his or her experience with SSA offices and local judges to present your appeal case to local authorities
- Bring suit in federal court in cases where a final appeal decision is unsatisfactory
And, while you may feel that this is a time when you cannot afford to retain an attorney, it is important to note that Berry & Associates operates on a contingency fee basis. You do not pay any attorney fees until your case is successfully resolved.
- Social Security Disability
Contact our skilled Atlanta, Georgia Social Security Disability attorneys to review your case
The Social Security Disability lawyers at Berry & Associates have helped over 2,000 clients win Social Security Benefits. Your initial consultation is free, and you pay no fee unless we win your case. Contact us to discuss your disability benefit via email, or call us at 1-888-330-7874.